Pages

Saturday, October 31, 2015

Presenting at the conference

Yesterday there was an in-house tech conference at stratton finance and was a part of it. Moreover - that was my first experience at presenting something in Australia!
First thing first - I really enjoyed it. And I`ve leaned a lot from the presentation itself and from preparation to it.

My topic was 'Docker containers'. I haven't used docker before so first thing I did was just a fresh installation of the docker to my Ubuntu laptop. Somehow I failed to install using official tutorial - so had to install it differently :) And when all was done I was able to pull few containers and run them - great success! Maybe, soon I`ll start using it mush more and not only locally...

We are at stratton not using docker at the moment so my presentation was a kind of 'what we can use'. Others were more about what are we using at the moment/what we will be using next week. I am not sure if this was good or not, should the theme of the conference be more focused?

Probably, the most important lesson I've learn was the obvious one - you need to prepare your speech. I was lazy and combined the presentation only the night before the event. My speech was not prepared at all - just few bullet points, almost duplicating the presentation. Surprisingly that was almost enough - I just forgot the name 'Core CLR' I wanted to use and it was an awkward pause. But other then that I hope my talk was smooth and interesting. Heh, I should ask for a feedback tomorrow!

As I said, I really enjoyed it and if the feedback would be positive enough I am going to start presenting at local meetups!


No comments:

Post a Comment