Pages

Thursday, December 4, 2014

YOW 2014

Thanks to my company, stratton, I was able to attend the YOW! conference in Melbourne. It was a 2-day software conference and it was amazing :). I really liked everything, especially as it was my first big conference.
For now I want to leave some notes about sessions I visited.

Day 1:

1) User story mapping: Discover the whole story by Jeff Patton. It was good especially as Jeff is a great presenter. But the content was a little bit childish - too easy and nothing special.
2) Make impacts, not software by Gojko Adzic. Second session was not very deep as well and I suppose nobody would expect to get some out-of-the box solutions; so from that session I was able to get few ideas at least like how to piss of scrum masters :) Or why we don't actually need all that test coverage.
3) Cool things about D - why and how we use it at Facebook by Andrei Alexandrescu. Finally that was a great speech. Andrei not only covered the simple usage of D (in a great way! so I started to plan when I will download its compiler) but as well talked about purity and some general programming concepts. It was useful and interesting. I would say that it was one of the best sessions from today.
4) Groovy: the awesome parts by Paul King. I wanted to get into groovy a little and the session started with an idea that groovy is the same thing for java as D for C++ but, unfortunately, this topic was not of the same quality as previous one. Frankly, it was just boring... Basic examples and no real value. At least for me.
5) Programming in the large: Architecture and experimentation by Mark Hibberd. Mark did a great job of general description of the general programming myths with a real examples of what his team doing. He even admitted that they could do it better! It was fun to listen to him and it was really motivational. Once again - it made me think of what and how I would do in the future. Thank you Mark.
6) Functionally obvious and succinct by Edward Kmett. This session was hard. Really hard. First of all - I had never seen haskel code before and secondly - it was all about optimization so a lot of "o(log(n))". And during the session I almost constantly had a question "wat" in my head. But later on the way home I rethought what I heard and it comes that this topic is interesting for me and I would like to try to implement the same data structure with C# (and will post about it soon).

Day 2:

1) Reactive, message driven and scalable by Todd L. Montgomery. Todd was talking about the past, present and future of the http protocol. Interesting topic but it was pretty much summarized by his own words that it is likely that most deevlopers wont notice any difference - it is too low level.
2) The scaling dilemma by Mary Poppendieck. Another session about the "agile way". This time on how to scale the agile approach for the enterprise level. Frankly, just another agile talk - nothing new. Maybe those agile coaches just aiming for a real general things?
3) How we went from 1 million to 1 billion events without throwing everything away by Julian Giuca. That was just boring - Julian was speaking about their approach to frameworks, made a lot of examples and he is a good speaker. But the topic was just bad, nothing specific and nothing useful - just a bunch of general ideas that everyone can produce.
4) How to undo almost anything with Git by Peter Bell. Finally, that was the only session on that conference (for me) where the speaker was not only showing slides but actually type something. During that speech I was enjoying the real console and actual usage of the Git. That was really fun!
5) Agility at the essence of software architecture by Simon Brown. Luckily, that session was not a common agile talk. From that one I was able to catch some new ideas and approaches, I am very pleased that I have seen it. Sketching is great :)
6) Pippi's book of the dead trading cards by Elizabethe Kramer. Well, the last session of the conference was the worst one. It was more about psychology then development and it was really bad. Elizabeth told us how she was able to settle one unpleasant situation  for one company. But why I would like to know it - I don't know :)

So that was all. Unfortunately, I was not able to network at all, my social skills need a lot of improvements! 

No comments:

Post a Comment