Pages

Monday, March 3, 2014

Service runner

One of my recent tasks was to create a "service runner" - a small application that we can use to more easily test our service projects. That app was relatively simple yet useful so I`ve decided that it is worth posting on Git! (Yep, my very first repository on Git)

It is available here: ServiceRunner. And you can even see my photo there! :)

But speaking of that tool. As I`ve said it is quite simple - it is just a WinForms application with one referenced "FakeService". FakeService is there only for demonstration purposes. In order to use that you will have to reference your service project(s) to it, add a wrapper in the FormLoad event - in order to be able to choose from a dropdown and set breakpoints!

This helper will call OnStart and OnStop methods using corresponding buttons. In addition this app will try to load corresponding App.Config file, so your services might use that as you wish - using custom sections etc.

And I would like to announce some features I want to add in future.

  1. Logging. For now it is writing only Start|Stop events and it would be great to catch all the logging from the given service - somehow
  2. Dynamic service loader. It might be easier to use by only choosing the right path for the corresponding dll and app.config file.
  3. I`m not sure but other events like OnShutdown might be usefull for someone as well...

No comments:

Post a Comment