Pages

Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Healthy coding

What about healthy coding? As a software developers we dont have to live a healthy live. Most of our time we are sitting in front of the monitor while our fingers are flying over keyboard as a butterflies. (So romantic!) But is it really that good? Or we have to think about our body too?

Of course, there are plenty of safety rules. They are all correct and reasonable, but personally, I tend to forget about them as soon as I start to work... So my posture is far from ideal and often my nose is too close to the monitor! I even have dinner in front of the computer! On the other hand, I make short breaks every 2-3 hours (cannot work witout coffee...), also, I often go to another room to analysts to discuss current tasks.

But in general, these rules are made to reduce the load on our main tool - the brain. We can distract from problems while breaks, exercise improves blood circulation. Other tools that important for developers are eyes and hands with fingers, so it is very important to use ergonomic mouse and keyboard and wide modern display.

And now about relaxations! Many people prefer to watch TV or play computer games after hard day. I also like to play games. I used to play computer games until the night, but now I prefer board games in good company. You cannot argue, that live conversation is much better! But those are types of intelligent rest, and simply switching the direction of thought is not enought sometimes. You might want to switch your brain off time to time. I think the best opportunity to stay in fit is participation in tourism hikes! I really love hiking!

Since I cannot take part in the campaigns as often as I would liked, I found an alternative. Every day I go to work, I walk through the park. It takes about 40 minutes to get to work, but it totaly worth it! I can breathe semi-clean air and enjoy beautiful views. So I heartily suggest you to find a similar route to work. It allows you to prepare for working day and often during a walk most graceful solutions are born in the head!





No comments:

Post a Comment